type, sensitivities and the type of manual exfoliation used it can be done a couple times a week. The use of scrubs, brushes, Microdermabrasion and Dermaplaning are all effective types of manual exfoliation. So can you freely use any type of scrub or brush? The answer is NO! When picking the right scrub or brush be sure to choose something that isn't jagged, too large, or bristles are too stiff. These types can unfortunately cause small tears in the skin. That is something you don't want!
Chemical exfoliation is exactly what is sounds like, the use of chemicals to turn over skin cells. There are many different peels on the market these days, you just need to find the right one for you and right Esthetician who understands your skin and what you are trying to accomplish. You can also use fruit enzymes or more commonly known as enzyme peels to lightly breakup and remove the outer most layer of the epidermis. Depending upon the type of chemical or enzyme used you may have to wait weeks in between treatments.
So what can exfoliation do for your skin? Lets make a list!
1. Pigmentation - exfoliating helps break up pigmentation on the skin and helps lighten and brighten.
2. Anti-aging - removing dead skin cells and increasing blood flow to the skin helps fight the aging process.
3. Acne - helping remove and turn over the skin cells more frequently can help with reducing build-up and breakouts.
4. Dry Skin - exfoliating can greatly help with dry skin and flaky skin. Removing the dead skin cells can allow the skin to absorb more hydration from products.
5. Glowing Skin - dull skin can appear when exfoliation isn't being performed. Remove dead skin cells, bring out the healthy cells and let the glowing skin begin!
Now, if you are the type of person who is looking for a different kind of treatment and exfoliation we have the perfect treatment for you! Our specialized Egyptian Face Polish helps exfoliate the skin, remove unwanted hair, and helps stimulate fibroblasts of collagen to fight the aging process. This is definitely a client favorite and your skin will be soft for weeks.
There is one final important thing to remember when exfoliating....sunscreen! You need to protect the new skin cells from sun damage, so be sure to wear sunscreen daily.
Tamira Trujillo is co-owner at Skin Mechanixx. She has been a licensed and certified Paramedical Esthetician since 2002, although she believes her training began during her childhood. Tamira's mother, Jan Walters (formerly Trujillo) was a large influence in the skin care industry in Colorado since the 80's and began instructing Tamira when she was very young. Tamira has a large passion for helping people and skin care allows her an avenue to do that.